This used to appear on ontheroad.nicksellen.co.uk which was all about a bike tour I made around the UK in 2011/2012.
So, what is it you’re doing?
I left London at the end of June and am generally heading in a northerly direction.
How many miles do you do a day?
I don’t know! (or care)
I stopped using a cycle computer years ago as it led me to make endless calculations whilst cycling, I could work out approximate distance by checking a map. I’ve stopped doing that now too. It simply doesn’t matter and distracts me from what I’m trying to do.
What are you doing then?
Having tried to learn what I like or don’t like from previous cycle trips (see my Inspirations for the trip) I am:
- staying within Britain
- having no fixed destination or agenda
- doing more than just cycling
I wasn’t entirely sure what the more things were when I left but it has slowly been emerging that I’m attempting to:
- ponder about the different ways we try and achieve community
- learn about British history
- more generally, learn about the entire path that has led to our current society
- try and get into writing my thoughts and ideas
- get involved with whatever I find along the way
Why have you got so much stuff?
It’s true, I have a lot of stuff. The reason is that this is my whole life now, I don’t have anywhere to go back to so I need enough stuff to feel comfortable. As I’m not in a hurry being slower up the hills isn’t an issue.
So far I haven’t not gone anywhere I would have been able to go without the trailer. That doesn’t mean it’s always been easy though.
Where are you staying?
Anywhere that’ll have me! So far it’s been a combination of:
- wild camping with bivy (and optionally tarp)
- camping in very small campsites
- visiting friends
- visiting housing co-ops
How long are you doing it for?
I have no fixed end but I do know that winter nights are long…